...................... 16 PARACHUTE FIELD AMBULANCE (Airborne Medics) ......................
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Records out there

3 posters

Go down

Records out there Empty Records out there

Post  Padre Matt Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:30 am

As most of you will know there are many fascinating military records in museums up and down the country. A lot of the smaller ones do not have many resources to cater for family history buffs however, but it is always worth writing to the relevant regimental museum, always enclosing a stamped reply envelope, and offering to make a donation to the museum if they are able to help.

For records from WW1 the majority of this is now somewhere in the public domain. Medal cards, pension records, attestation papers and some other medical records can be found on Ancestry [paying their subs] or at the National Archives. [but you have to go to London]. Sadly not ALL records have survived. In the London Blitz in WW2 one of the records buildings took a hit during the bombing and fire broke out. This affected quite a large proportion of the WW1 service and pension records. It is estimated that something like 20% of the records were either destroyed or partly damaged. Hence on ancestry you see pages which are half blackened with smoke damage or water damage etc! They tried to save the records while putting the fire out Smile Its not logical what has or has not survived either, its not like the top stack of the first letters of the alphabet bought it, it affects the whole series, so be prepared for this if you plan to search.

For post WW1 there is a personnel records cut off date around 1930, where only next of kin can obtain personal info or copies of records because the persons concerned might still be alive. Here the relevant services records office must be consulted and the proper forms filled in and payment sent. This does not include medal rolls. Until recently the cut off was circa 1923, when Navy and some Army records went from large ledger records and papers to card indexing. However, the records for medals up to 1949 for the Navy and IIRC 1939 for the army can be checked. Post war is much more difficult for the reasons already stated.

For NCOs and Officers the London Gazette can be useful. This official newspaper is full of promotion details and gallantry and long service awards. Their website has a free search facility so you can download relevant pages in pdf.
Padre Matt
Padre Matt

Back to top Go down

Records out there Empty Re: Records out there

Post  Kenny Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:33 am

Padre Matt wrote:As most of you will know there are many fascinating military records in museums up and down the country. A lot of the smaller ones do not have many resources to cater for family history buffs however, but it is always worth writing to the relevant regimental museum, always enclosing a stamped reply envelope, and offering to make a donation to the museum if they are able to help.

For records from WW1 the majority of this is now somewhere in the public domain. Medal cards, pension records, attestation papers and some other medical records can be found on Ancestry [paying their subs] or at the National Archives. [but you have to go to London]. Sadly not ALL records have survived. In the London Blitz in WW2 one of the records buildings took a hit during the bombing and fire broke out. This affected quite a large proportion of the WW1 service and pension records. It is estimated that something like 20% of the records were either destroyed or partly damaged. Hence on ancestry you see pages which are half blackened with smoke damage or water damage etc! They tried to save the records while putting the fire out Smile Its not logical what has or has not survived either, its not like the top stack of the first letters of the alphabet bought it, it affects the whole series, so be prepared for this if you plan to search.

For post WW1 there is a personnel records cut off date around 1930, where only next of kin can obtain personal info or copies of records because the persons concerned might still be alive. Here the relevant services records office must be consulted and the proper forms filled in and payment sent. This does not include medal rolls. Until recently the cut off was circa 1923, when Navy and some Army records went from large ledger records and papers to card indexing. However, the records for medals up to 1949 for the Navy and IIRC 1939 for the army can be checked. Post war is much more difficult for the reasons already stated.

For NCOs and Officers the London Gazette can be useful. This official newspaper is full of promotion details and gallantry and long service awards. Their website has a free search facility so you can download relevant pages in pdf.

Thanks Matt,

I found Tina's commision in the London Gazzette Laughing

Kenny
Kenny
Kenny

https://16pfa.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Padre Matt Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:37 am

Forgot to add, Air Force records I know very little about, any ideas Dan...?

Navy records can be quite details pre 1923, they had huge beautiful ledgers to write all the details of enlisted mens service, conduct and all the ships they were in, dates, the lot. Even if they got salvage, or bounty pay etc. Post 1923 is Naval Records Office. The navy ledger pages are not free on ancestry, its a National Archives job, but I can download them. They cost £3.50 per double page I think. I did get a discount at one time, so can try if anyone wants, because I did a load for the grandson of a Royal Yacht veteran, Lord G. Muggeridge who's whole family had a fascinating naval history.

regards
Matt
Padre Matt
Padre Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  lanceng156 Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:50 am

Padre Matt wrote:The navy ledger pages are not free on ancestry, its a National Archives job, but I can download them. They cost £3.50 per double page I think.

Yeap I agree they are fantastically detailed and easy to read and understand! They are £3.50 for the sheet as stated by Matt. Matt if you have access still I have a relative I wouldn't mind tracking down again, Frederick Rees joined 1897 discharged 1920, notible China Seas Tour 1902 and Jutland.

Padre Matt wrote:Forgot to add, Air Force records I know very little about, any ideas Dan...?

Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force records are held in a couple of places. Pre 1939 I believe they are held in RAF Museum Hendon (email or letter, they are switched on down there) Post 1939 they are held by RAF Innsworth and will have to be Next of Kin form to apply for details (I did for my G/Uncle Basil Yarwood and got a huge stack of his service details.)

On another note:

Lost or Unclaimed Family Medals

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Veterans/Medals/

MoD Medal Office
Innsworth House,
Imjin Barracks,
GLOUCESTER,
GL3 1HW

I contacted these chaps to claim my G/Uncle Yarwoods medals and got them in about 6 weeks!

Danny
lanceng156
lanceng156

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum